Masdar Special Projects: Morocco Solar Home Systems
The Morocco Solar Home Systems (SHS) project is a Masdarled initiative in partnership with Morocco’s Office National de l’Electricité et de l’Eau Potable (ONEE). It provides 19,438 solar home systems in over 1000 rural villages in the Kingdom of Morocco.
The solar home systems, along with broader electrification initiatives, will provide 99 per cent of rural Morocco with access to energy, enhancing the lives of more than 95,000 people that did not previously have access to electricity. Each of the installed systems consists of two solar panels with a total capacity of 290 watts and two batteries with sufficient storage capacity for up to three days, thus ensuring uninterrupted power supply. In addition, the system includes eight LED light bulbs and light switches, three electric sockets and a 165 liters refrigerator.
- The initiative provided 19,437 solar systems in over 1000 rural Moroccan villages
- 99% of rural Morocco, 95,000 people, will now have electricity access as a result of the initiative
- Each house will receive:
1. Two solar panels of 290-watt total capacity
2. Two batteries with a total capacity of 300 Ah (up to 3 days supply of energy)
3. One charge controller
4. 8 LED light bulbs and light switches
5. 165 liters capacity refrigerator
6. 3 electric sockets